Leicester longwool singles on Flickr.
This is the first bobbin of leicester longwool singles for my #sca a&s project. When plied, it’ll be sock yarn
Brass point / aglet made from following the howto on fingerloop.org
2012: the year of the archers ⇢
When my life gets settled (ha) and I get some money in the bank, I am, no bullshit, taking archery lessons.
If you think the Middle Ages are cool, your local SCA barony will likely give free lessons and lend you equipment at practices.
This is this morning’s lace-weight spinning. I decided yesterday’s didn’t have enough twist, so I spun it back onto the bobbin a bit tighter then joined and spun a bunch more. There’s 29yd total. After I’ve set the twist, I can lucet it and have lacing for my dresses. Since it’s wool, it’ll be gentler on my eyelets than the hemp.
I picked up this handcarved purple heart lucet from The Spanish Peacock on Saturday at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. I spun some blue faced leicester into lace weight yarn this morning (never done lace before, it went surprisingly well), and here’s a sample done on the lucet (also a first time attempt). The intention is to spin enough very thin yarn to lucet a thin enough cord to go through the handsewn eyelets on my dresses that’s still strong but won’t damage them the way the hemp cording I’m using now does.
Sleeves on Flickr.
And then there were sleeves… Now to stitch an eyelet into the top of each & repeat on dress shoulder straps.
I made the rest of the dress back in July, but I never got around to the sleeves or the trim, because hell, I didn’t do the eyelets to make wearable until after I got to Pennsic.